Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins (review in progress)

I've spent a couple hours today reading the latest mystery sensation, "The Girl on the Train," by Paula Hawkins. The novel, released last January, is still the number 1 best seller in Kindle's Paid list. I've reached pg 95, and calling it a day.

The novel's opening hit me with intensity: vigorous intriguing characters, and quite a suspenseful dramatic setting for the hopefully Gone-Girlesque mystery. I was captivated by the narrative and kept turning pages incessantly for the first fifty pages, then my reading pace noticeably slowed down, and I was more prone to getting distracted by the kids.

Now for those who have read the novel, I've quite some legitimate questions:

*SPOILERS* Ahead

1. Rachel, the drunk in wrecks, suddenly puts her shit together and presents herself as a totally organized thoughtful person. Is there - later in the story - any explanation to this sudden, unfathomable change, or is it just redundancy on part of the writer?

2.  Rachel, the drunk in wrecks, previously nothing but an office worker as I remember, out of no where exhibits pristine detective qualifications and thinking. Is that accounted for later in the novel?

3. Rachel's bantering about her earlier life has been going on for quite a lot of pages and has been painfully slowing the pace of the novel. Is it going to stop at one point, and is this the new rhythm of the novel?

I really loved the strong suspenseful start, but I'm afraid that's all there is to it. If so, I'd really like to stop right now and look for something else.



No comments:

Post a Comment